Scene Building via Dialog

Here’s the thing, I set out to write this next project without an outline. My plan was to just blast out the words as they came to me and see where the characters took the story. I’ve heard this works. Not for me (so far, anyway). I kinda need to know what’s going to happen or I can’t come up with the connective tissue. So instead of writing a bullet point outline, I thought I’d build scenes one-by-one, but instead of just writing a sentence for what each scene does or going too far and writing it full out and unattached, I tried splitting the difference. I wrote only the dialog.

It was pretty fun, actually. I basically transcribed important conversations between the main character and others in the book. My main concern was that it might end up completely disjointed and random. Or that these conversations would end up being the negative space and no story would develop. In fact, the opposite happened. The conversations all ended up being pretty intense and took me places I never intended to go. In a good way!

So I’m moving forward with this approach. Dialog scenes with little or no description or internal monologue that build into the story. Naturally, not every scene will make it into the final story, but for now, it’s a great way to get a lot of words down fast and generate building blocks for the narrative.

Irony Bites

A few weeks (months?) ago, I dished out a piece of advice in which I state that a person who wishes to release a piece of media should do a title check to see what is already out there. I had done it for my second book. BUT NOT THE FIRST BOOK! Yes, friends, I was comically surprised how many exisiting books had the word “progeny” in the title. And how many of those had “progeny” as the ONLY word in the title. Guh.

DolansSonCover

So I’ve changed the title of the book to Dolan’s Son. And you can buy it here on Amazon for 99 cents.

OR you can read it free in PDF form or .MOBI

See what you think and please write a review. The book description reads like a telegram so I have to re-do that. And the cover is temporary as well, but I didn’t use comic sans or papyrus on it so it’ll do for now.